Monday, February 5, 2007

Belgium - Land of waffles, chocolate and Colin Farrell

That's right, I said Colin Farrell. Our first day in Belgium we visited a pretty little city called Brugges (which means witch in Flemish) where Colin Farrell is apparently filming a movie for the next 40 days. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/) The rest of the country was lovely ... full of gauffres (Belgian waffles), nice people and pretty buildings, but Farrell was really the highlight.

We were sitting on a bridge where they were going to film and a nice Belgian guy named Deter who was working as Farrell's stand-in told us what was going on. Five minutes later Colin Farrell walked by, said hello to us and said to my friend Kathy, "Ah, you've got a lovely smile," complete with Irish accent.

We spent half the day hanging around with the production crew, talking to Deter, Farrell's assistant and another (smaller) actor in the movie. It was a lot of fun, but finally we moved on to more typical tourist activities like climbing the 366 steps to the top of a belfry for a great view of the city and having cappucinos and a delicious gauffre in a café on the square.

The rest of the trip couldn't really compete with seeing Colin Farrell, but we had a good time and saw some really old buildings. We also had a grouchy old man yell at us in a frite shop in Gent, someone's wallet was stolen (not mine), and I found the metro in Brussels to be very dirty - sometimes smelling stongly of urine.

But it is only a 30 minute train ride from Brussels to Lille and I was surprised to find myself happy to be back in France. I never thought it would be possible, but this place is starting to feel like home.

P. S.
I have pictures of Belgium (including Colin Farrell) that I hope to post soon.

No comments: