Most of you would probably rather know more about what life is like in France than what I miss about the U.S., so immediately below you will find a post titled "Life in France" that will hopefully appease you.
But for those of you who aren't so picky, here is a story that is a little bit about music being a universal language, and a lot about how much I miss my iPod.
"I Pod before I go to work, Pod as soon as I get home. I have yet to get up in the middle of the night to Pod, but in principle I have nothing against the idea."
The quote is from a book I've been reading called "iPod, Therefore I Am" by British journalist Dylan Jones. He's made me laugh out loud repeatedly and, more importantly, made me miss my iPod as much as I miss my family. I am iPodsick.
I bought the little contraption about a year ago, just in time for a week-long trip to Europe. So why I ever thought I could last four months over here without it I have no idea. Luckily my wonderful older brother has agreed to get it fixed as a birthday present and send it to me and is going to great lengths to do so.
It quit working a few months ago, so it had to be sent away for healing. Once it comes back (hopefully in proper working order), Eli will likely have to refill my little black iPod with all my music ... which means a two-hour drive to get my computer from our mother's house. And since I have three to four times as many audio files (music + Margaret Cho) as will fit on the Nano, he will have to have instructions as to what to put on it. Then, he will have to pay to have it shipped to me here in France.
This really is quite a task, especially considering the poor guy has a full-time job and a full-time girlfriend. But once we (me and my iPod) are reunited, it will be the best birthday present ever.
Of course I miss my extensive Bad Religion collection, the play lists I made for each semester of college and the whimsical bunch of songs I've purchased off iTunes (mainly guilty pleasures like "New Age Girl" by Dead Eye Dick and "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness). But most of all I miss the instant gratification and rapid discovery that goes hand-in-hand with the iPod. iTunes makes it easy to look up any piece of music, listen to it and (if you like it) buy it in a snap.
The whole process appeals to my love of the eclectic. It's easy and cheap to get the one Britney Spears song I like (Toxic) without any of her other crap. I love that I can express exactly how I feel at any given moment by throwing together a playlist with any songs I want, be they "I Will Survive," "The Idiots are Taking Over" or "Eleanor Rigby."
But right now the thing that saddens me most is that without iTunes or my iPod I have no way of making a new soundtrack for my life in France.
The 10 Songs I'd be Listening to Right Now if I Could:
Immigrant Song, Led Zeppelin
Cease, Bad Religion
Satan, Lend Me a Dollar, Hill of Beans
Sleeping In, The Postal Service
That French song from the iPod Shuffle commercial
Snakes on a Plane, Cobra Starship (Don't judge, it makes me laugh)
Mine for Life, The Sounds
Accordion music (I hear it here and I feel like I am in a movie set in France)
Tiny Dancer, Elton John
Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles
Monday, February 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment